How to cook Indian Spiced Chicken Balti
Great quick and easy recipe with lots of flavor. Lovely as an ‘everyday’ type of meal. You can add in yellow pepper and spinach, and some freshly squeezed lemon at the end of cooking for extra taste. The leftovers also taste even better the day after!
Indian Spiced Chicken Balti Ingredients by Pinoy Recipe dot net:
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 large onions , thickly sliced
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp balti curry paste
- 200g quinoa
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1liter chicken stock
- 50g roasted salted cashews
- small bunch coriander , leaves chopped
What is Quinoa?
(pronounced keen-wah) comes from the South American Andes and was regarded as the ‘mother grain’ by the native Incas. Unlike wheat or rice, it is a complete protein, containing all of the essential amino acids. Use it like rice in pilafs and stuffings, or even as porridge. When cooked, it swells to four times its original size, becoming almost transparent as the ‘germ’ separates from the seed.
Indian Spiced Chicken Balti Cooking Procedure:
- Heat the oil in a large pan, fry the onions for 5 mins until golden and softened, then tip onto a plate.
- Add the chicken breasts, browning for a few mins on each side, then stir in the balti paste, quinoa and onions.
- Sizzle for a few mins, then pour in the tomatoes and stock and give everything a good mix.
- Bubble for 25 mins until the quinoa is tender and saucy.
- Stir in the cashews and most of the coriander with some seasoning, then pile into bowls and scatter over the rest of the coriander to serve.