Last Updated on
How to cook Filipino style Picadillo Recipe
Picadillo Recipe originally came from Cuba, the Cuban version include lots of peppers, garlic, onions, cumin, oregano, beef stock, tomato sauce, olives and on occasion raisins, and potatoes and sauteed in olive oil with white wine. The Cuban usually serve this dish with black turtle beans and rice.
The Filipino style Picadillo Recipe is traditionally made with ground beef with either potatoes or chayote but most of the time chayote is used because it is a lot more cheaper than potatoes. Most Filipino called this dish Giniling na Karne, Filipino term for ground meat.
Filipino Picadillo Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo Lean Ground Beef
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup Frozen green peas, thawed
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 medium-sized onion, minced
- 1 piece Beef cube
- 4 tbsp. Canola cooking oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Filipino Picadillo Instructions:
- Heat a saucepan then pour Canola cooking oil.
- Fry the potatoes, carrots and green peas then set aside.
- Saute garlic until the color turns light brown.
- Add the onions then cook until the color becomes transparent.
- Add the lean ground beef and cook until it turns light brown.
- Add the tomato sauce and water then add the beef cube and bring it to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the green peas, potatoes and carrots then mix-well then cook for another 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add some salt according to your taste and ground black pepper then stir.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Filipino Picadillo Recipe is a beef dish that is quick and easy to prepare, and is great over steamed rice, or as a filling for Empanada.