Crispy Kangkong Recipe – Kangkong or river spinach contains beta carotene, Vitamin A, Iron, phosphorus and thiamin. Here’s a tip on buying kangkong, make sure you choose those with large, unblemished leaves that are deep green color.
Crispy Kangkong Ingredients:
- 1 bundle of kangkong
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (asin)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (paminta)
- 1 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- cooking oil
For Mayonnaise Dip:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3-4 drops Maggi Savor liquid seasoning
- Dash of pepper
Crispy Kangkong Cooking Instructions:
- Remove the kangkong leaves. Wash in water and dry. Use the stems in other recipes (e.g. Sinigang or Apan apan recipe).
- Mix the egg, water, cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the kangkong leaves and mix until all the leaves are coated with the batter.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan. Fry the leaves until crispy and golden brown. Strain the cooked pieces for excess oil.
- Serve with Mayonnaise Dip
- An alternative to kangkong is spinach which is gaining popularity in most of the Filipino specialty restaurants as an appetizer. Dip in mayonnaise.