Siomai is a dimsum of Chinese origin which is loved by many Filipinos. One can order different kinds of siomai but the base is always pork. The ground meat should have some fat otherwise the cooked siomai will be too tough. Prawns or shrimps can be substituted for part of the pork if desired.
Estimated cooking time: 50 minutes
Shrimp and Pork Siomai Ingredients:
- 1 kg Lean ground PorkÂ or 1 kg Prawn (shrimp) peeled
- 1/3 cup chopped water chestnuts or turnips (singkamas)
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 2 medium or 1 large minced onion(s)
- bunch of spring onions or leeks
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 pcs. large or 100 pcs. small wanton or siomai wrapper
- soy sauce, calamansi (lemon or kumquats), sesame oil and chilli paste (for the sauce)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or corn oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 kilo Chillies (Siling Labuyo)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
Siomai Cooking Instructions:
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into each wrapper. Fold and seal.
- Meanwhile, boil water and brush steamer with oil.
- When the water gets to a rolling boil, arrange the siomai in the steamer and let stand for 15-20 minutes, longer for larger pieces.
- Serve with soy sauce, calamansi and sesame oil. Chilli paste is optional.Wrapper:
- Beat egg and mix with flour till free of lumps.
- Bring water, cooking oil and salt to a boil, then pour in flour.
- Remove from heat and beat until mixture forms a ball.
- Divide the dough into 1 1/4 -inch balls.
- Roll each ball on a floured board until paper thin. Set aside.
- Simplest version of chilli sauce would be to chop chillies well and fry them in oil, sesame or vegetable oil, never olive oil if you want it to have a Filipino taste.Chilli Paste:Combine chopped chillies and minced garlic then simmer for around 20 minutes or till most of the water has evaporated. Add oil, simmer and stir well.
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Filipino Chicken Empanada Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>