Learn how to cook Bopis or Bopiz
Bopis Recipe is a spicy and appetizing Filipino dish made out of pork lungs and heart sauteed in tomatoes, chilies and onions. The liver and brain, along with the ears and the face is reserved for use in cooking Sisig.
Bopis is derived from the Spanish word Bopiz. Bopis is usually served as a pulutan or an appetizer, and is best eaten with alcoholic drinks. Bopis is also served as a main or side dish, and is best eaten with steamed rice.
Like most traditional recipes, there is no definite recipe for Bopis. But there are certain ingredients that is basic, namely garlic, onions, soy sauce and sugar. For some reason, a lot of Filipino dishes have sugar in them. A green chili pepper is also commonly used as garnish.
- 1/2 kilo pork heart
- 1/2 kilo pork lungs
- 300g pork fat, skin on
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 4 pcs bay leaves
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tbsp siling labuyo or cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp annatto powder, dissolved in 3 tbsp stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 knot pandan leaves
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 cup pork stock
- fish sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil
- green chili pepper for garnish
Bopis Cooking Instructions:
- In large fry pan, add pork fat, heart and lungs, lemongrass, pandan leaves, 1 cup of vinegar, 1 tbsp salt and enough water to cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove meat, let it cool down then dice the meat finely, set aside.
- In a heavy pan, heat oil and sauté garlic and onions.
- Add the chopped meat, cayenne pepper and bay leaves, stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, 1 cup of vinegar and stock, bring to a boil and simmer in high heat until sauce thickens.
- Add more vinegar if you want it more sour.
- Add annatto powder mixture then season with fish sauce and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Simmer for 2 minutes then place in a serving dish and garnish with green chili pepper.
- Serve with iced cold beer or with hot rice.
- Use spice vinegar or sukang may sili.
- Pork liver can be added for additional flavor.
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe: