How to cook Biko na Pirurutong Rice Cake
Biko Pirurutong Recipe is one of the varieties in Filipino Suman delicacies. It is traditionally prepared during Christmas season best served with hot chocolate. This rice cake consists of mixed white rice and brown-purple sweet rice which is called “pirurutong”. Pirurutong contains more nutrients compared to white rice. It is steamed in coconut milk with some grated ginger, brown sugar, calamansi rind and a little salt topped with Latik or fried coconut curds.
The cooking procedure in Biko Pirurutong Recipe is not that difficult but you will have to deal with a lot of stirring to avoid it from being burned.
Biko na Pirurutong Rice Cake Ingredients:
- 1 cup violet glutinous rice, soaked overnight
- 2 cups white glutinous rice
- 3 cups water
- 1½ tsp. iodized salt
- 1½ tsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups brown or muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp. calamansi zest, finely chopped
- Banana leaves, optional
- Oil for brushing the leaves
For Latik: (you can follow this procedure)
- 2 cups coconut milk or 1 can coconut milk, for toppings