How to cook Thai Crispy Shrimp Cakes (Tod Mun Goong)
Thai Crispy Shrimp Cakes (Tod Mun Goong) Recipe is a delicious deep fried shrimp patties served with cucumber salad.
Thai Fish and Shrimp Cakes is a yummy appetizer you can find in Thai restaurants, with matching cucumber salad and dipping sauce. These dish will surely wow your friends at parties – until they disappear. Or, you can serve it with rice and other vegetable dish for dinner.
Thai Crispy Shrimp Cakes Ingredients by Pinoy Recipe dot net:
- 1/2 kilo fresh prawns or shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 150 g (5 oz) ground pork (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 60 g (1 cup) bread-crumbs
- Oil for deep-frying
- 2 pieces fresh pineapple, thinly sliced, to garnish (optional)
- Chinese plum sauce, to serve (optional)
Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 1/2 cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced red chili 60 ml
- (1/4 cup) rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Sprigs of coriander leaves (cilantro), to garnish
Thai Crispy Shrimp Cakes (Tod Mun Goong) Cooking Procedure:
- To make the Sweet Thai Chili Sauce, bring the water, fish sauce and sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture turns into a thin syrup.
- Remove from the heat and set aside. About 10 minutes before serving, combine all the other ingredients with the syrup and mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Grind the peeled prawns or shrimp to a paste in a food processor.
- Combine the prawns or shrimp, pork (if using), salt, fish sauce, sugar and pepper in a large bowl and mix until well blended.
- Wet your hands, spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture and shape it into a ball, then press it flat to form a round cake. Coat the cake on all sides with the bread-crumbs. Continue until all the mixture is used up.
- Heat the oil in a wok or saucepan until hot.
- Gradually lower the coated cakes into the oil, a few at a time, and deep-fry for about 5 minutes, turning occasion-ally, until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Line a serving platter with the pineapple slices (if using) and arrange the deep-fried cakes on top.
- Serve hot with a bowl of Sweet Thai Chili Sauce or Chinese plum sauce (if using) on the side.