Deep fried Lapu-lapu fish topped with Sweet and Sour sauce, this is populaly known as Lapu-lapu Escabeche. Basically Lapu-lapu Escabeche Recipe is made by deep frying a whole fish of Lapu-lapu or Red grouper fish or any kind of meaty fish, and topping with sweet and sour sauce with vegetables.
The dish Escabeche is a Spanish classic and sugar is definitely not one of the ingredients. It’s made with a lot of herbs and spices such as cumin, thyme, coriander, oregano and bay leaf. The only similarity Spanish Escabeche has with our Filipino Escabeche version is the use of vinegar and fried fish.
You can always use other meaty fish aside from Lapu-lapu in order to make this dish.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
Lapu-Lapu Escabeche or Lapu-Lapu Sweet and Sour Ingredients:
- 1 Kilo Lapu-lapu Fish
- 1 1/2 cup Canola Oil (for deep frying)
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 table spoons tomato ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 thumb-sized Ginger,sliced in strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium-sized onions, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 medium sized carrot, julienne
- 1/2 cup red and green pepper, sliced in strips
- 2 green onions, sliced for garnishing
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, diluted with 2-3 tablespoons water