Kaldereta is originally a goat stew made with goat shoulders, tomato sauce, potatoes, spices, liver spread, olives, bell peppers and hot peppers. Kaldereta is a favorite Filipino meal served during parties, festivities and other special occasions in the Philippines. Kaldereta is a Spanish-influenced dish that became to be Filipinos’ favorite and made their own versions, you can find this dish in all Filipino cookbooks.
In this Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe version of Kaldereta we used Chicken Legs, this is my favorite part of the chicken because I find it the most tastiest part. You can use other choice chicken parts or use the whole chicken.
Try this PinoyRecipe version of Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe and give us your feedback.
Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 kg Chicken Legs
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns (lightly cracked)
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- Canola oil for frying
- 500 gm Tomato Sauce
- 1 85gm can of Liver Spread
- 2 pcs medium sized Bell Pepper (seeded and sliced)
- 2 pcs long Green or Red chilli [optional]
- 1/3 cup bottled olives – drained [optional]
- 1 can of Green Peas (you can also use fresh or frozen 1/2 cup)
- 250 gm Potatoes – (peeled and quartered)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Hot Chilli Sauce [optional]