How to cook Shrimp Sinigang with Cabbage
Shrimp Sinigang with Cabbage is a soup whose flavor is soured with batuan fruits which is abundant in the Western Visayas region of the Philippines. I like the subtle sourness of the batuan. It is a good replacement to the classic sampaloc broth.
Filipino Sinigang Soup is traditionally tamarind based. Other versions of the dish derive their sourness from ingredients such as guava, calamansi, bilimbing, or unripe mango among others. Powdered soup base or bouillon cubes for sinigang based on tamarind are also used in place of natural fruits.
Shrimp Sinigang with Cabbage Ingredients
- 1 Kilo Shrimp
- 6-8 tablespoons Batuan puree or 2 pcs tamarind cubes
- 1 big Onion (diced)
- 3 big tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/4 kilo Cabbage
- 3 pieces long green pepper (Siling haba)
- 5 cups rice-wash or water
- Salt or Patis (fish sauce)