This Filipino Eggplant salad takes quite a bit of preparation but it’s well worth the effort. It complements main dishes that are dry (like fried pork chops and daing na bangus) but it is also the companion side dish to the stew dish, puchero.
Filipino Eggplant Salad Ingredients:
- 6 – 8 slim Japanese eggplants (not the fat aubergines commonly available in American grocery stores)
- 3 – 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsps of salt
- 6 – 8 tsp of spicy vinegar
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- Red Salted Egg (for garnish)
- Green Mango (Small sized for garnish)
Note: The amount of garlic and vinegar will depend on personal taste and also on how long you intend to store the salad. The longer it is stored, the stronger the bite of the spicy vinegar and garlic, so you may lessen these ingredients accordingly.