How to cook Cassava Suman
Cassava Suman Recipe, another Filipino native “kakanin” that is good for snacks. It consists of grated coconut and grated Kamoteng Kahoy (cassava) wrapped in banana leaves. It is sweet, chewy and very delicious.
It is one of the older Filipino desserts or snacks. For another variation, chocolate fillings can be added inside the cassava. Other Suman recipes that we offer are the following; Suman sa Gata, Suman sa Ibos, and Suman sa Lihiya
Cassava Suman Ingredients and Cooking Procedure:
Cassava Suman Recipe
- 3 cups or ½-kilo finely grated cassava
- 1 cup finely grated coconut
- 1 cup white sugar
- 15 pieces of banana leaves cut into 7 x 10 inches blanched
- Combine grated cassava, grated coconut and sugar.
- Place measured amounts of cassava mixture on each piece of banana leaf.
- Roll Banana leaf, enclosing filling and fold both ends.
- Keep each suman 1.25 cm thick, 4 cm wide and 12.5 cm long.
- Tie the suman in pairs loosely and keep them in shape.
- Arrange on steamer rack in a staggered pile. Steam for 30 minutes, counting time when live steam starts to form.
- Keep the steamer well-supplied with water to prevent drying out.
- Serve hot or chilled with latik.