Last Updated on
How to cook Shrimp Adobo or Adobong Hipon
Shrimp Adobo Recipe or Adobong Hipon is a finger lickin’ good, easy to cook Filipino dish. Let me give a little background of Filipino Adobo, it is the name of a popular dish and cooking process in Philippine cuisine that involves meat, seafood, or vegetables marinated in a sauce of vinegar, soy sauce and garlic, browned in oil, and simmered in the marinade. It has sometimes been considered as the unofficial national dish of the Philippines. Adodo dish has a very long shelf-life due to one of its primary ingredients, vinegar, which inhibits the growth of bacteria.
This Shrimp Adobo is one of the many Adobo Recipe variants that we made, here are the others Adobong Manok, Pork Adobo, Adobong Balut, Adobong Tahong, Adobong Sitaw and Chicken Pork Adobo. You will surely love this Shrimp Adobo because it’s so delicious, yummy and tasty.
Shrimp Adobo or Adobong Hipon Ingredients:
- 3/4 kilo medium sized shrimps
- 1/2 cup vinegar, preferably coconut or cane vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup 7Up or Sprite
- 1 tbsp Mang Tomas Lechon Sauce (optional)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized onions
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 pcs bay leaf
- 3 pcs Siling Labuyo (optional if you want it spicy)
Shrimp Adobo or Adobong Hipon Cooking Instructions:
- Wash the shrimps thoroughly and remove all the whiskers.
- In a bowl, mix the vinegar, soy sauce, pepper, and Mang Tomas Lechon Sauce. Mix well.
- In a frying pan, put the shrimps and 7UP or Sprite then cook for only a minute to half cooked it. To know that it’s already half cooked the shrimps are no longer transparent but do not wait for it to turn completely orange. Drain and set aside the sauce.
- In the same frying pan, heat the oil and saute the garlic and onions.
- Put in the vinegar-soy sauce mixture and bay leaves, let it boil then add the half cooked shrimps.
- Add 3 tbps from the 7UP or Sprite sauce from where you cooked the shrimps first. Just wait until the shrimp turns bright orange, do not overcook.
- Season according to taste.
- Served with Hot rice.
Adobong Hipon is so delicious, yummy and tasty.