How to cook Suman sa Lihiya
Suman sa Lihiya Recipe is a famous Filipino dessert from south Luzon in the Philippines. Like any other suman, this is made up of glutinous rice or sticky rice, brown sugar and coconut milk but it is flavored with lye solution or lihiya in Tagalog, which gives a distinction of this tasty dessert, it is then tightly wrapped in banana leaf.
This Suman sa Lihiya is best served with latik sauce on top or grated coconut meat along with your favorite beverages like hot chocolate or coffee. Latik is from the coconut milk residue when it’s cooked.
Cooking Suman sa Lihiya is a little time consuming but it’s worth it.
Suman sa Lihiya Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups glutinous rice
- 3 cups of water
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. lye solution
- oil, for brushing
- Banana leaves, wilted for wrapping
- String, (optional)
Suman sa Lihiya Cooking Instructions:
- Soaked Glutinous Rice for an hour or you can just wash and rinse the glutinous rice 4 times using a strainer and place in a bowl.
- Add lye solution and salt and mix it thoroughly. In a big saucepan pour 3 cups of water and bring to a boil, then add the glutinous rice mixture.
- Transfer the gas mark to low heat and stir continuously for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer under cooked suman on a platter and scatter evenly to cool down faster.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine the coconut milk and brown sugar over low heat and stir occasionally until mixture becomes thick and syrupy.
- Turn off the heat and let the syrup cools down at room temperature.
- Brush wilted banana leaf with oil lightly to avoid suman mixture from sticking.
- Place a desired portion of sticky rice onto the banana on a greased side, cover, roll and fold both ends towards the center and tightly secure it with a string if using one. Or you can wrap the way you want either rectangular, triangle or square, using your signature wrapping skills.
- This recipe can yield a dozen of suman. Suman needs to be wrapped tightly to avoid leakage when steaming.
Suman sa Lihiya is really delectable in every bite, this Filipino delicacy is great for an afternoon snack.
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Lengua Estofado Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>