How to cook Sylvanas or Silvanas: Frozen Cashew-Meringue Cookie Sandwiches
Silvanas or Sylvanas Recipe is a favorite cookie dessert in the Philippine Islands especially in Visayas. If you’re not in the Philippines you can make your own using this recipe.
Silvanas or Sylvanas is a super buttery cream sandwiched between two cashew-meringue wafers, coated with cashew crumbs. It is often referred to as a cookie version of Sans Rival. Sylvanas are best served frozen because they become crunchy. It satisfies a totally different kind of food cravings. The type of dessert that would get you to forget your name, it is so good. So indulgent, you should try!
Try this yummy goodness, Filipino Sylvanas Recipe.
Silvanas or Sylvanas Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour , sifted
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts, finely ground and sifted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temp.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups cashew nuts, finely ground + 1/4 cup bread crumbs or
- 1 3/4 cups cake crumbs + 1/4 cup cashew nuts, finely ground
Silvanas or Sylvanas Cooking Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 300F. Grease and flour cookie sheet or use a good quality wax paper.
- Grind cashew nuts finely in a food processor with all-purpose flour. But if you don’t have you can do it manually with mortar and pestle as what I did. Sieve crushed cashew nuts and set aside. Sift all-purpose flour in a separate bowl and set aside as well.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl with wire whip attachment. Mix at medium speed for 1 minute while gradually adding the caster sugar. Switch the speed and add the almond extract, continue beating the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed and glossy.
- Fold in flour and cashew nuts together over a sieve and gradually cut and fold until well blended. Put mixture into piping bag and snip the end with a scissor.
- Pipe meringue onto the prepared cookie sheet lined with wax paper. To yield the same size of meringue wafer make a circle pattern using any size of round shape you got and trace it on the wax paper for an even outline. In this procedure I used a 2 inch cookie cutter, the size is just perfect for me.
- Pipe meringue evenly onto the sheet, this recipe makes 24 wafers; yields a dozen of decadent sylvana. Bake the meringue in the center of the oven for 25 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Let it cool completely before transferring to a wire rack to prevent the wafers from cracking. Meringue wafers are fragile when it’s hot and very easy to peel off when it’s completely cooled.
- Prepare icing while waiting for the meringue wafer to cool down. Dissolve sugar in milk, then cream butter until pale in color. Add sugar-milk solution slowly while beating continuously until smooth.
- Chill the butter mixture while preparing for the coating mixture. In a bowl crumble leftover slice of sponge cake, mamon or any plain yellow cake. In this recipe I’m using one of my Torta Cake Cebuano that I made earlier. Crumble the cake finely and add the finely ground cashew nuts and mix well, then set aside.
- To prepare the other coating mixture mix finely ground cashew nuts and add the bread crumbs in a separate bowl and mix well, then set aside. If you don’t have bread crumbs that would be fine ‘coz it’s just an extender (cashews are expensive why not add a cheaper extender, that doesn’t compromise the taste anyway).
To assemble the Sylvanas : Stir chilled butter lightly to soften and using a brush, brush icing on a meringue wafer and sandwich with another meringue wafer. Hence, that most of Sylvanas recipe procedures I’ve seen are sandwiched in reverse “flat-side-out”. I don’t really know why it has to be done like that but I guess to have a crunchy Sylvanas exterior and a soft and gooey interior. But I find it too buttery ‘coz I have to fill the center with lots of butter to make a flat and even sides.
Sylvanas or Silvanas Recipe is a delectable Frozen Cashew and Meringue Cookie Sandwiches
Silvanas or Sylvanas Recipe,
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Halabos na Hipon Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>