How to cook Seafood Kare Kare
Seafood Kare-Kare Recipe is similar to the traditional Kare Kare but instead of beef, pork or chicken we will use seafood to have a healthy twist. It is made from peanut gravy and vegetables such as string beans and eggplant perfect for vegetarians.
Cooking the usual Kare Kare is very time consuming because you have to simmer it for hours to make the meat tender, the good thing about Seafood Kare-Kare the seafood are much less time to prepare compared to meat. In this recipe, all you need is to steam the shells and any other seafood that you like to add in this dish such as shrimps, squid rings and mussels.
Seafood Kare-Kare is best served with steamed rice along with bagoong or fermented shrimp paste.
Seafood Kare Kare Ingredients
- 200 grams mussels
- 4 pcs crab, cut into 2
- 200 grams clams
- 200 grams squid, cut into rings
- 250 grams shrimps,trimmed
- 250 grams fish fillet (cream dory), cut into serving size
- 2 bundle of string beans, cut into 2-inch long
- 2 pcs eggplant, sliced diagonally
- 1 bundle of pechay, trimmed
- 1 banana heart (puso ng saging), sliced diagonally
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 5 cups seafood broth
- 2 tsp annatto seeds (atsuete)
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tbsp bagoong guisado (as condiment)
Seafood Kare Kare Instructions:
- Steam fish fillet, crab, prawns, clam and mussels until cooked.
- Slice the fish fillet in to serving sized and cut the crab in halves then set aside.
- Set aside the liquid used to steam the seafood.
- Heat up the oil, then put in the atsuete(annatto) seeds until the oil becomes deep red.
- Remove the seeds from the oil by straining them.
- Sauté garlic and onions in oil until onions become translucent.
- Add the broth from which you steamed the seafood with.
- Stir in the peanut butter, salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetables and simmer, don’t overcook the veggies only half-done.
- Add clam, mussels and prawns and simmer for another 6 minutes.
- Add pechay, crab and fish fillet slices and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Serve with bagoong alamang guisado or shrimp paste.
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>