How to cook Palitaw
Palitaw Recipe, the Palitaw is a small, flat, sweet rice cake eaten in the Philippines. Palitaw is made from malagkit or sticky rice, washed, soaked, and then ground. Cooking Palitaw is very easy, just scoop the Palitaw dough, flatten it, then dropped it into boiling water, when it floats to the surface it is an indication that they’re done, that is the reason why it is called “Palitaw”, it floats when it’s cooked.
When you serve Palitaw, the flat discs are dipped in grated coconut, and presented with a separate dip made of brown sugar or muscovado and toasted sesame seeds.
Watch How to cook Palitaw:
Author: Eduardo Joven
- Serving size: 18
- Calories: 126
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 25mg
- Fiber: 1g
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2¼ cups glutinous rice flour
- 1 cup water, room temperature
- 2 cups fresh grated coconut
- 1 cup light or dark mascovado sugar
- 3 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- Combine glutinous rice flour with water and mix with a spoon until a dough is formed.
- Knead the dough just until smooth and softened.
- Scoop about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough then shape it into a ball and make another ball until you’re done with the dough. I made 18 pieces of glutinous rice balls.
- Lightly wet your hands so it wont stick on your palm then flatten the rice balls using the palm of your hands, and set aside.
- Boil water in a cooking pot then put-in the flattened Palitaw dough, in batches don’t over crowd your pot to avoid sticking from each other.
- When Palitaw dough starts to float, just leave it for 2 minutes more before you remove them from the pot. Use a slotted spoon so that the water will drip off.
- Roll the Palitaw in fresh grated coconut then arrange it on a serving plate and sprinkle big amounts of mascovado sugaron top, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Try this very easy to make sticky and chewy Palitaw Recipe with sesame seeds and freshly grated coconut.
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Ham and Egg Fried Rice Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>