How to cook Paella Valenciana
Paella Valenciana Recipe is a Filipino adaptation of the famous Valencian dish made with rice, vegetables, saffron, chicken and seafood that makes a satisfying one-pot meal for 4–6 people. Your guests will not believe how simple it is to prepare!
You can also create your own variation by adding some scallops, hotdogs, pepperoni and many more. Paella Valenciana is a very good party dish, your family and friends will surely ask for more.
Paella Valenciana Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Spanish chorizo (Chorizo Bilbao) sausage (about 2 ounces)
- 2 (2-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 cup Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup water
- 18 mussels (about 3/4 pound), scrubbed and debearded
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped bottled roasted red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Paella Valenciana Cooking Instructions:
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add shrimp to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Add chorizo to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until browned. Add chorizo to bowl.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add chicken to pan, and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the tomato, capers, and saffron; cook 1 minute.
- Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, rice, wine, and broth to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add shrimp mixture, peas, 1/4 cup water, and mussels to pan.
- Cover and cook 8 minutes over medium heat or until mussels open; discard any unopened shells.
- Remove from heat, and stir in bell pepper and cilantro.
- Let stand 3 minutes.
Paella Valenciana Recipe,
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Lumpiang Ubod Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>