How to cook Maja Kalabasa
Maja Kalabasa Recipe is the healthier version the famous dessert, which is known and much loved by every Filipino as Maja Blanca or Coconut Cake. Unlike the traditional maja blanca that is usually white in color, this Maja Kalabasa Recipe is like a golden pudding made with squash, which makes this dessert absolutely nutritious.
This is a great snack for the whole family, particularly for the kids who don’t eat veggies; it is a perfect way to sneak in some healthy ingredients to their dessert without them knowing that they have actually eaten some vegetables. Though, it is also a fun way of introducing the kids to eat healthier and nutritious snack than consuming their favorite junk foods.
Maja Kalabasa Ingredients:
- 2 cups Kalabasa, peeled and diced
- ½ cup water
- a pinch of salt
- 1¼ cups Kalabasa, cooked, drained and mashed
- 1¼ cups water
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 2 cans (300g) Nestle All-purpose Cream
- 1 can (300ml) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3 tsp. Calamansi Juice or Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp. Butter or Margarine
- 1/8 cup toasted cashews, roughly chopped to garnish (optional)
Maja Kalabasa Cooking Instructions:
To prepare the squash:
- Peel, dice and wash the kalabasa, then place it in the saucepan and cover with half cup of water, a pinch of salt and bring to a boil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Fire off, drain the stock of kalabasa and reserve for later use.
- Mash the cooked kalabasa with a fork until smooth.
- This recipe makes 1¼-1½ cups, to store, let it cool completely and put in a clean jar or plastic container and refrigerate, this will last for 4 days.
To make the maja kalabasa:
- Combine water or reserved kalabasa stock and cornstarch in a large casserole and whisk until cornstarch dissolve completely.
- Add in the cream, sweetened condensed milk, mashed kalabasa and calamansi juice.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat, and stir continuously until it thickens for about 18-20 minutes.
- When the mixture becomes too thick that when you lift your wooden spoon the mixture doesn’t easily fall off, turn off the heat.
- Add in the butter and mix well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 11×7 baking tin or any similar container and spread evenly. If using cashews or any nuts, sprinkle it on top of maja kalabasa and allow it to set and cool completely before cutting.
- Slice, serve and enjoy your creamy and delicious maja kalabasa dessert.
Maja Kalabasa Recipe is a great snack for the kids who don’t eat veggies.
Maja Kalabasa Recipe,
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Coffee and Sago Cooler Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>