also known as Ginataang Gabi
is equally famous and tasty as the Bicol Express
. The dish’s main ingredients are taro stem and leaf cooked in coconut milk, salted with fermented shrimp or fish bagoong
. It is also heavily spiced with red hot chilies called siling labuyo
(“Bird’s eye chili”).
Preparation Time: 00:15
Cooking Time: 00:25
Servings: 3 to 4
- 25 pieces gabi (taro) leaves, dried and shredded
- 1/2 kilo pork, diced
- 1/4 cup shrimp bagoong
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 5 red hot chilies or siling labuyo, sliced
- 1 cup coconut cream (katang gata)
- 2 cups coconut milk (gata)
- 1/2 teaspoon vetsin or monosodium glutamate (MSG) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Laing Cooking Instructions:
- In a casserole, saute’ garlic, ginger and onions then add the pork.
- Mix in the gabi leaves.
- Pour in the coconut milk (gata) and bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add red hot chilies, bagoong, salt and MSG and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and continue to simmer until oil comes out of the cream.
- Serve hot with plain white rice.
Try this Laing Recipe version of Filipino Recipes Portal
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Mia Mariu F6 >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>