GD Star Rating
Kaldereta is originally a goat stew made with goat shoulders, tomato sauce, potatoes, spices, liver spread, olives, bell peppers and hot peppers. Kaldereta is a favorite Filipino meal served during parties, festivities and other special occasions in the Philippines. Kaldereta is a Spanish-influenced dish that became to be Filipinos’ favorite and made their own versions, you can find this dish in all Filipino cookbooks.
In this Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe version of Kaldereta we used Chicken Legs, this is my favorite part of the chicken because I find it the most tastiest part. You can use other choice chicken parts or use the whole chicken.
Try this PinoyRecipe version of Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe and give us your feedback.
Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 kg Chicken Legs
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns (lightly cracked)
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- Canola oil for frying
- 500 gm Tomato Sauce
- 1 85gm can of Liver Spread
- 2 pcs medium sized Bell Pepper (seeded and sliced)
- 2 pcs long Green or Red chilli [optional]
- 1/3 cup bottled olives – drained [optional]
- 1 can of Green Peas (you can also use fresh or frozen 1/2 cup)
- 250 gm Potatoes – (peeled and quartered)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Hot Chilli Sauce [optional]
Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Cooking Instructions:
- In a bowl add the following ingredients vinegar, salt, garlic, and peppercorns, then mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken pieces to the mixture and mix well. Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours.
- In a big pot, heat oil for frying. Fry the potatoes till cooked.
- Now, Drain the Chicken from marinade and fry briefly in the oil in batches. Set aside.
- Remove oil from the pot but leave about 2 Tbsp. Heat up again and saute the onion on medium heat until soft and translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Scoop out the garlic and peppercorns from the marinade and add to the onion. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add in the browned chicken, stir for a minute then add the rest of the marinade, stir and cook for about a minute.
- Stir in the Tomato Sauce and bell pepper. Bring to boil then turn down the heat.
- Add the fresh chilli, simmer until meat is almost done, Now add the Liver Spread and mix well to combine.
- Add potatoes and peas. Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Add grated cheese, mix well until cheese has melted.
- Taste the Kaldereta sauce and add salt to correct seasonings, you can now add the Hot Chilli Sauce if preferred.
- Serve warm with Rice.
Ready to serve Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe
Kalderetang Manok or Chicken Caldereta Recipe,
, Chicken Caldereta Recipe
, Kalderetang Manok Recipe
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Arroz Caldo Recipe >>
Join our Christmas Giveaway!
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>