Send this Recipe to a Friend...
GD Star Rating
Try this Filipino Catfish in coconut milk ( Ginataang hito )
Ginataan is one of the creamy Filipino specialties that never fail to get positive remarks. One of these is the Filipino Catfish in Coconut Milk Recipe. It uses catfish, a fish variety that goes well with coconut milk. The combination of the two main ingredients consequently brings out a good-to-be true aroma and subtle flavor.
The Ginataang Hito Recipe is well-loved by Filipinos. It is commonly served as a main course for their meals— lunch or dinner. More so, it is perfect to be served with a cup of hot rice and a glass of any beverages.
Ginataang Hito Ingredients:
- 1 kilo catfish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp atsuete seeds (annatto)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/8 cup onions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (20-ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 hot red chili peppers, sliced
Ginataang Hito or Catfish in coconut milk Cooking Instructions:
- Soak the atsuete seeds in 1/4 cup water. Macerate (with fingers) and let stand for 20 minutes then strain and set aside the juice.
- Wash and clean the catfish, slice to desire sizes and pat dry.
- Heat olive oil and add garlic and onion. Saute over medium heat until onion is soft.
- Add the atsuete juice, vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaf, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the catfish and chiles. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for another 5 to 8 minutes until the fish is cooked and to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve the Ginataang Hito with hot steamed white rice.
Ginataang Hito Recipe or Catfish in coconut milk is a delightful dish well-loved by Filipinos.
Try this super tasty Filipino Ginataan Hito Recipe
Ginataang Hito Recipe or Catfish in coconut milk ,
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipes:
Highly Recommended Filipino Recipe Books:
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>