How to cook Ginataang Gulay at Hipon
Ginataang Gulay at Hipon is made of squash, shrimps and green beans that simmer in coconut milk to create a nutritious and delicious meal. The word “Ginataang” (also spelled “ginataan” or “guinataan”) is a Filipino term referring to food cooked with “gata,” the Tagalog word for coconut milk.
Ginataang Gulay has many different versions, this one is my favorite because of the shrimps. Another version of this dish have pork, dilis or long-jawed anchovy and some put crabs on it.
Ginataang Gulay at Hipon Ingredients
- 1/4 kilo shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails left
- 1/4 squash or kalabasa, sliced into cubes
- 1 bunch string beans about 3 cups then cut into 2 inch length
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 piece siling Tagalog or birds eye chili
- 2 tablespoons Canola cooking oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional but recommended)
- salt to taste
Ginataang Gulay at Hipon Cooking Instructions
- Pour Canola cooking oil in a large cooking pan, set it to medium heat.
- Saute garlic and onion then add fish sauce and coconut cream, let it boil.
- Add the ground black pepper, cook for 10 minutes in medium heat until the liquid reduces.
- Add the shrimp and stir well, simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the squash (kalabasa) and cook until the squash becomes a little soft.
- Add the string beans, stir, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with rice.
Here’s Pinoyrecipe.net’s version of Ginataang Gulay at Hipon
Ginataang Gulay at Hipon Recipe, a delicious and nutritious dish from PinoyRecipe.net
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe: