How to make Espasol
Espasol Recipe is a kind of rice cake, a native Filipino sweet treat that originated in the Philippine province of Laguna. It is made of rice flour cooked in coconut milk and grated coconut, then rolled with remaining toasted rice flour and usually shaped into cylinders.
Espasol is a favorite kakanin and pasalubong of many Filipinos; this can be bought in food stalls, bus stops and specialty shops in Laguna. Now you don’t have to buy this delicious sweet treat.
Here is how to make Espasol the cooking procedure is very simple and easy!
- 2 1/4 cups glutinous rice flour, toasted
- 1 cup sweet desiccated coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour, toasted for dusting
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Espasol Cooking Instructions:
- To prepare measure all ingredients and place in separate bowls.
- Toast the glutinous rice flour in a big pan over low heat and continue mixing them until it turns lightly brown, do not burn the flour if you don’t want to have a bitter taste espasol. When you’re done with the glutinous, transfer in a large bowl and continue with the rice flour and desiccated coconut one at a time.
- Put the coconut milk in a large pot over medium heat until it boils. Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes and turn on low heat to avoid burning the sides of the pot.
- When the coconut mixture becomes syrupy add in the toasted coconut and mix thoroughly for about 5 minutes.
- Add the toasted glutinous rice flour and vanilla essence and mix until the mixture becomes thick while folding. It takes about 25-30 minutes, when its thick and soft to handle then you’re done. Fire off and let it cool down before shaping the mixture into logs.
- To divide the mixture, measure 2 tablespoons for each and form them into your palm and roll on a lightly dusted cutting board about 5 inches long.
- The toasted sweet rice helps the kakanin from not sticking to each other. Place on a serving plate and keep on rolling one at a one until you’re done.
- You can wrap each one with wax paper for storage.
Espasol Recipe is a cylinder-shaped Filipino rice cake originating from the province of Laguna.
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Ginataang Mais Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>