How to make Espasol
Espasol Recipe is a kind of rice cake, a native Filipino sweet treat that originated in Laguna Province, Philippines. It is made of rice flour cooked with grated coconut and coconut milk, then rolled with remaining toasted rice flour and usually shaped into small cylinders then wrapped with paper.
This cylinder shaped Espasol is a favorite kakanin and pasalubong of many Filipinos; this can be bought in food stalls, bus stops and specialty shops in Laguna. Now you don’t have to buy this delicious sweet treat.
Here is how to make the famous Filipino Kakanin – Espasol the cooking procedure is very simple and easy!
- 2 1/2 cups Malagkit Flour (glutinous rice flour)
- 1 cup Desiccated coconut or 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup sweet rice flour, toasted for dusting
- 2 1/2 cups of canned or fresh coconut milk
- 2 cups White sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Espasol Cooking Instructions:
1st: Toast the Malagkit(glutionous rice flour) and the Rice Flour
- In a large pot, put-in the Malagkit(glutinous rice flour) and apply very low heat.
- Cook the Malagkit rice flour in the pot until it toast while continuously mixing. You know its done when it turns light brown.
- Remove from the pot the toasted Malagkit rice flour then transfer to a large bowl.
- Repeat the same procedure for the Sweet Rice Flour.
2nd: Toast the grated coconut
- In a large pot, put-in the Grated Coconut or Dessicated Coconut and apply very low heat.
- Cook and allow it to toast while continuously stirring until the color of coconut turns light brown.
- Remove it from the pot and transfer to a separate large bowl
3rd: Cook the Espasol
- Using a large cooking pot, Add-in coconut milk and turn on the heat then bring it to a boil.
- While stirring continuously add-in the White sugar and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put-in the toasted grated coconut, mix well and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add-in the toasted Malagkit(Glutinous rice flour) and Vanilla extract and cook until it becomes thick while folding the mixture. It will take about 30 to 40 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the cooked Espasol mixture from the fire and allow it to cool down.
- Dust the toasted sweet rice flour in a flat surface.
To form the Espasol cylinders measure 2 tablespoons for each the start forming them into your palm then roll on a lightly on your toasted rice dusted cutting board about 5 to 6 inches long.
- The purpose of the toasted sweet rice is to avoid Espasol from sticking together.
- Place on a large plate while working on the other Espasol until you’re done.
Espasol Recipe is a native Filipino sweet treat that originated in Laguna Province, Philippines.
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Ginataang Mais Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>