GD Star Rating
Chicken Empanada is a favorite snack and party fare that I can serve hot or cold. I always thought making empanada was difficult but after baking Apple Pie, Empanada is a breeze. Here is an easy empanada recipe that uses baking.
Makes 20 puffs Preparation time: 1 hour Cooking time: 20 mins
Chicken Empanada Ingredients:
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 kg chicken thighs, deboned and diced
- 2 med. potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 med. carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 chicken, bouillon cubes
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 med. onion, minced
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp. milk (optional)
- ½ cup flour, sifted + extra for dusting
- salt to taste
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup butter, chilled & cubes
- ½ cup shortening
- 6-7 tbsp. icy cold water,
- 1 egg, for egg wash
Chicken Empanada Instructions:
To make the Empanada Filling:
- In a large pan add 4 cups of water, then add the chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots and chicken bouillon cube.
- Boil it until potatoes are half cooked, next strain the ingredients in a colander reserving 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock for later use.
- When it’s cool-off add potatoes and carrots in a separate bowl and set aside. Skin, debone and diced the chicken and set aside.
- In a large frying pan heat oil and butter then saute garlic, onions and diced chicken for about 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots saute for another 2 minutes, then add the reserved chicken stock, milk, and a pinch of salt.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then sift flour over the mixture and stir until dry. Remove from fire then let it cool completely.
To make the Empanada Crust:
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl. Add in chilled and cubes butter and lard or vegetable shortening. Using a fork or hand pinch together until it forms a crumb. Add ice cold water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix well. Knead the dough for 3 minutes and form a ball.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes before using. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut dough into your desired size, using empanada cutter, or a cookie cutter or any available round cutter you have.
- Place filling in the center and fold dough over to the opposite side. Crimp the dough with fork or with your fingers to seal the edges and repeat procedure until done. Place chicken empanada on a baking tray, prick each empanada with fork and brush with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven 375F, for about 30-40 minutes or until lightly brown. Time varies depend on the size of your empanada.
Try PinoyRecipe.net’s version of the famous Chicken Empanada Recipe
Filipino Chicken Empanada Recipe (Chicken Puffs),
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Recommended Filipino Recipe Books:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipes:
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>