GD Star Rating
How to cook Callos Filipino style
Callos Recipe is a legacy from the Spanish colonial era, this savory stew of ox tripe and leg is flavored with spicy chorizo de bilbao and traditionally served with olives.
Callos Recipe or ox tripe stew is introduced here in the Philippines from the Spanish colonial era and a very traditional dish in Madrid, Spain. This savory stew of ox tripe and shank is cooked with spicy chorizo de bilbao and commonly served with olives. Chorizo Bilbao is a spicy sausage seasoned with paprika flavored lard, which makes Callos so tasty and so different from other tomato-based stews.
Callos needs a little patience to cook this right because Ox tripe usually requires slow cooking and it will likely take 3-4 hours to complete, even with a pressure cooker. The stock that comes from simmering is rich, thick and sticky which makes eating this dish so satisfying.
What makes Callos special? Why is it different from other beef stews? Chorizo de bilbao is a major factor.
Filipino Callos Ingredients:
- 1/2 kilo Honeycomb Tripe
- Freshly ground Pepper
- 2 chorizo bilbao sausages, sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Tomato sauce
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium size carrots, diced
- 1 medium size potato, diced
- 2/3 cup pitted green olives
- 3/4 cup chickpeas
- 2 cups vinegar
- 7 liters water
- 1 1/2 kg ox hooves
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
Filipino Callos Cooking Instructions:
- Clean and wash Honeycomb Tripe in vinegar thoroughly. Rinse and brush to remove any dirt.
- Boil Honeycomb Tripe in 9 cups of the water for 8 minutes. Drain and discard water.
- Clean and wash ox hooves well. Boil in 9 cups of the water for 12 minutes. Drain and discard water.
- In a casserole, combine Honeycomb Tripe and ox hooves.
- Pour in remaining 12 cups water and bring to the boil, then simmer for about 2 hours or until meats are tender.
- Remove meats from broth and let cool. Reserve 1 ½ cups of the broth.
- Meanwhile, heat corn oil in a frying-pan and fry the chorizo pieces until firm, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Slice the trip into 1-inch squares. Remove meat from the ox hooves and slice similarly. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a casserole and saute until fragrant.
- Add the sliced meats and saute until lightly brown.
- Pour in tomatoes, canned tomato sauce, potatoes and the reserved broth. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chorizo, carrots, red bell pepper, olives and chickpeas and season with salt, pepper and, if desired Tabasco.
- Simmer just enough for the vegetables to heat through.
- Serve with steam rice.
Callos Recipe so tasty and so different from other tomato-based stews.
Filipino Callos Recipe (Tripe and Sausage with Chickpeas),
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Caesar Salad Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>