How to cook Bunuelos
Bunuelos Recipe is a popular delicacy in many Latin countries like Mexico, Colombia and in Asia, the Philippines. It is cooked as a traditional Christmas treats and also served in special occasions and celebrations such as birthdays and baptisms.
Buñuelos are similar to doughnut; it consists of wheat-based yeast dough, usually flavored with anise, thinly rolled and shaped into round ball or disc, then fried and sprinkled with sugar or hot sugar cane syrup, it is best served with a cup of hot chocolate or coffee.
Learn these basic and simple ways to make Bunuelos with Christmas just around the corner; it is also an excellent gift for the holidays. You can also try our Pinoy Donut recipe.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Canola oil, for deep frying
Bunuelos Cooking Instructions:
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl then add 2 tbsp of caster sugar.
- Place the egg and milk in a small bowl and whisk well with a fork.
- Next melt the butter in a small pan.
- Add the egg mixture and milk gradually into the flour, stirring all the time, until well blended
- Add the melted butter then Mix well with a wooden spoon and then with your hands to make a soft dough.
- Lightly dust with flour your work surface, tip out the dough on to it and knead for about 10 minutes,until smooth.
- Divide the dough into into small balls.
- Heat the oil for deep frying then fry the bunuelos in small batches until they are puffy and golden brown
- You must turn them once or twice during cooking. As soon as they are golden remove them out of the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towels to drain.
- Place the Bunuelos in a service plate then dust it with caster sugar or you serve it with dulce de leche.
Bunuelos Recipe is great paired with coffee or a hot tea.
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Breakfast RecipesBreakfast Recipes
by Nita Mehta
A nourishing breakfast makes a good start to the day. Breakfast literally means breaking the night’s fast,... Read More >
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Biko na Pirurutong Rice Cake Recipe >>
Join our Giveaway!
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>