How to make Filipino Beef Empanada
Empanada is a savory turnover filled with meat that trace their origins to Galicia (Spain) and Portugal. Empanada is a Spanish word meaning meat pie. Filipino Empanadas are either baked or fried like the Vigan Empanadas from the northern part of the Philippines. Empanadas make great appetizers and finger foods for a meal on the go.
In this Filipino Beef Empanada we used lean ground beef, you can also use shredded beef but it takes longer to prepare or substitute any filling you like. Just like the famous Chicken Empanada, the Beef is cooked with vegetables like potatoes, bell pepper and green peas, with raisins.
Filipino Beef Empanada Ingredients:
For Beef Empanada Filling:
- 1 tbsp Canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 kilo Lean Ground beef, preferably 85% lean
- 1/2 cup onion , diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups Potato, diced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 Tbsp cane vinegar
- 1 Chorizo Bilbao, diced (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 egg whites, beaten for sealing the empanadas
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten for brushing
For Dough/Crust :
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup butter, chilled & cubes
- ½ cup shortening
- 6-7 tbsp. icy cold water
Beef Empanada Instructions:
To make the Empanada Filling:
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Saute the onions and carrots until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and cook the ground beef and chorizo bilbao until the meat has browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Potatoes, soy sauce, white wine, vinegar, and raisins.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until the potatoes have softened, about 30 minutes.
- Add the green peas and heat just to cook through, about a few minutes.
- Taste and add more salt to taste.
To make the Empanada Crust:
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl. Add in chilled and cubes butter and lard or vegetable shortening. Using a fork or hand pinch together until it forms a crumb. Add ice cold water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix well. Knead the dough for 3 minutes and form a ball.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes before using. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut dough into your desired size, using empanada cutter, or a cookie cutter or any available round cutter you have.
- Place filling in the center and fold dough over to the opposite side. Crimp the dough with fork or with your fingers to seal the edges and repeat procedure until done. Place chicken empanada on a baking tray, prick each empanada with fork and brush with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven 375F, for about 30-40 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Time varies depend on the size of your empanada.
- Let them cool slightly before serving them warm.
This Beef Empanada Recipe is a great appetizer and finger food for a meal on the go.
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe: