Beef Bulalo Recipe is one such favorite soup and the hotter it is the better. It is best complemented by the marrow that is tapped out of the bone. This delightful Beef soup is a specialty of the cattle-raising region in the province of Batangas.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2 ½ hours
- 2 kg beef bone marrow, have your butcher chop it into small pieces
- 1 kg boneless beef shank or stewing beef
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 liters water
- 2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2-3 saba (plantain) bananas, each cut into two pieces
- 1 whole medium cabbage, quartered
- 3-4 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Beef Bulalo Cooking Instructions:
- Blanch bone marrow and boneless beef shank or stewing beef in hot boiling water for a while and rinse in cold running tap water to remove scum and blood.
- Place bone marrow and onion in a stockpot, pour in the 3 liters of water and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add the boneless beef shank or stewing beef and return to the boil.
- When it boils, lower heat and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Add the potatoes and bananas.
- Simmer until potatoes and bananas are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and stir in fish sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until cabbage is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
Published on: Jan 3, 2008
Updated: March 10, 2012
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe: