How to cook Kadyos Manok Ubad
In Filipino cuisine, when using native chicken as the main ingredient, the first thing that comes to mind is that hearty soup dish which is called Tinolang Manok. Native chicken (free range chicken) meat is very ideal in cooking soup dishes, since it has its rich distinct taste that gives an appetizing and unique flavor than of those raised ordinary chickens. Though in this recipe, we are going to make an equally delectable and appetizing dish which is called Native Chicken with Banana Ubad and Kadyos Recipe or also known as “KMU” which stands for – Kadyos, Manok and Ubad.
This chicken soup is one of the well-loved and in demand dish by Ilonggos here in the Philippines, we also recommend that you try the pork version Kadyos Baboy Langka Recipe or “KBL”. Kadyos is a type of legume which looks as a small black beans that is also known as pigeon peas or black-eyed peas and a popular ingredient used by Ilonggos in Western Visayas particularly in Aklan and Iloilo City.
Kadyos Manok Ubad Ingredients
- 1 whole Native chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 cup kadyos (pigeon peas)
- 6 cups water
- 1 piece medium-sized onion, quartered
- 1 thumb sized ginger, (peel and bruised)
- 2 pieces ubad (banana tree core), chopped
- 2 bundled tanglad or lemongrass
- 3 pieces Siling haba (birds eye chili)
- 1 Chicken cube (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste