How to cook Filipino style Chicken a la King
Chicken a la King Recipe is a sumptuous chicken dish perfect in an elegant Christmas dinner or any special occasion. This dish consists of diced chicken and mushrooms in creamy and flavorful sauce with lots of red or green bell pepper and vegetables which can be served over pasta, toasted bread or steamed rice.
There are a lot of claims about the origin and who had invented this dish some say it is from Chef Charles Ranhofer of Delmonico’s, another claims it was created in 1881 in London at Claridge’s Hotel, and another claims that it is from Chef George Greenwald of the Brighton Beach Hotel created it in 1890s, named after patron E. Clarke King and his wife. The Filipino version of Chicken a la King is with toasted “tasty” bread.
Try this Filipino favorite snack Chicken a la King Recipe.
Chicken a la King Ingredients:
- 1 cup chicken leftovers, small cubes
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup potatoes, peeled and small cubes
- 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and small cubes
- 1/4 cup button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp. red wine (optional)
- 1/4 cup celery or green peas
- 1/4 cup red and green peppers
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 12-18 pcs. sliced bread, edges trimmed
- 1/2 bar quick melt cheese, shredded