GD Star Rating
How to make the delectable Brazo de Mercedes
Brazo de Mercedes Recipe is a popular snack or merienda dessert in the Philippines, it is literally translates to “Mercedes Arms”, perhaps due to its elongated and arm like appearance.
Brazo de Mercedes also known as a Creme-filled Log Cake is made of Meringue rolls filled with golden yellow custard filling, this filling are sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. This delicious cake can be found in most popular restaurants in the Philippines and served as a dessert after a great meal, or as a pasalubong.
This Spanish-influenced Brazo de Mercedes is rich, sweet and best eaten on the day of making.
Brazo de Mercedes Ingredients:
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup finely ground and toasted cashew nuts (optional)
- 10 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Brazo de Mercedes Cooking Instructions:
- In a saucepan, simmer milk over low heat until reduced to 2 cups. Add sugar, butter, and vanilla extract, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks in mixing bowl. Add a little of the milk to the egg yolks, stir, then gradually add mixture by spoonfuls back into the saucepan, beating constantly. Stir well to avoid curdling.
- Add cashew nuts and continue cooking entire mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has the consistency of a paste. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a 26 cm x 32 cm Swiss roll pan with foil and grease with the melted butter, making sure to get well into the corners.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites, vanilla essence and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and whisk until firm, glossy peaks form.
- Spoon the mixture into the tray and spread evenly with a palette knife. Bake for 10–15 minutes or until the meringue starts to lightly brown on top.
- Carefully remove the meringue from the tray by lifting the foil and turning it onto another piece of foil.
- Spread the yolk mixture evenly over the meringue, leaving a 10–15 cm border around the edges. Reserve a small amount of custard for decorating. With the help of the foil, roll the meringue base up and over itself, starting from one long side, in the same way as with a Swiss roll.
- Remove the foil and top the roll with the remaining yolk mixture.
- Place in the fridge to chill before serving.
Brazo de Mercedes Recipe is deliciously rich, sweet and best eaten on the day of making.
Brazo de Mercedes Recipe,
, Filipino Christmas Desserts Recipes
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Filipino Mongo Guisado Recipe (Stewed Mung Beans) >>
Join our Christmas Giveaway!
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>