How to cook Biko na Pirurutong Rice Cake
Biko Pirurutong Recipe is one of the varieties in Filipino Suman delicacies. It is traditionally prepared during Christmas season best served with hot chocolate. This rice cake consists of mixed white rice and brown-purple sweet rice which is called “pirurutong”. Pirurutong contains more nutrients compared to white rice. It is steamed in coconut milk with some grated ginger, brown sugar, calamansi rind and a little salt topped with Latik or fried coconut curds.
The cooking procedure in Biko Pirurutong Recipe is not that difficult but you will have to deal with a lot of stirring to avoid it from being burned.
Biko na Pirurutong Rice Cake Ingredients:
- 1 cup violet glutinous rice, soaked overnight
- 2 cups white glutinous rice
- 3 cups water
- 1½ tsp. iodized salt
- 1½ tsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups brown or muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp. calamansi zest, finely chopped
- Banana leaves, optional
- Oil for brushing the leaves
For Latik: (you can follow this procedure)
- 2 cups coconut milk or 1 can coconut milk, for toppings
Biko na Pirurutong Rice Cake Cooking Instructions:
- Soak violet glutinous rice for about 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large pot combine soaked violet rice and regular white glutinous rice, wash and rinse the rice.
- Mix the rice in 3 cups of water, salt and grated ginger and mix well to combine and dissolved the salt.
- Cook the rice in a medium heat until almost done, do not over cooked. When it’s done, fire off and open the lid to cool down the rice.
- Meanwhile, In a large deep pan heat 2 cups of coconut milk, brown or muscovado sugar and calamansi zest.
- Mix until the sugar dissolves and bring to simmer over a low heat until the coconut caramel becomes thick.
- Add in the cooked sticky rice over the coconut caramel syrup.
- Mix and blend well with a wooden spoon until the rice has cooked thoroughly and the syrup has been absorbed. You know it’s done when you stir the rice and you can see the bottom of the pan.
- It should be slightly moist, turn off the heat and transfer in a prepared greased banana leaf.
- Lastly, prepare your Latik toppings by simply simmer the remaining coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When the coconut milk starts to separate from the coconut oil turn the heat to low and let it simmer and stir lightly until coconut curd forms. Cook until the coconut curd turns into golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and sprinkle the latik on top of your biko na pirurutong and serve.
Biko Pirurutong Recipe is one of the varieties in Filipino Suman delicacies best served with hot chocolate.
Biko na Pirurutong Rice Cake Recipe,
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Pineapple Cherry Icebox Cake Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>