How to make Filipino Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Filipino Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is a classic home cooked meal which can be a very satisfying comfort food during the cold December months. This is definitely a crowd pleaser for potlucks and Christmas parties. This is a dish made with elbow macaroni as the main ingredient baked with creamy cheese and white sauce that consists of thickened milk with butter and flour then topped with breadcrumbs.
Cooking Baked Macaroni and Cheese is surprisingly very easy, you will know that the pasta is already cooked when you see the sauce bubble and ooze on the top of macaroni and the cheese turns brown then the smell of butter fills the house.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients
- 1/2 kilo uncooked elbow macaroni
White Cheese Sauce:
- 25g butter
- 25g flour
- 300ml milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 60g cheddar cheese, grated
- 30g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 kilo ground beef
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cup diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1 small onions, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 piece beef cube
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Instructions:
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente, then drain and set aside.
To make the White Cheese Sauce:
- First melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and using a wooden spoon, stir to form a paste.
- Over a gentle heat add a third of the milk, whisking to prevent any lumps forming.
- Add the rest of the milk a third at a time, whisking as you go.
- Season with grated parmesan cheese and pepper and a pinch of ground nutmeg.
- Allow the sauce to cook out for another minute before adding the Cheddar cheese.
- Stir and remove from the heat.
To make the Red Sauce:
- Prepare the meat sauce by heating a cooking pot and melt-in the butter then saute the garlic and onion and add the ground meat and herbs. Cook until the meat are browned.
- Add tomato paste, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add bell pepper, and diced tomatoes then stir and simmer for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomato paste and paprika then stir and cook for a minute
- Add the beef cube and water then stir until everything is well distributed. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put-in the sugar, salt, and pepper then mix well. Turn of the heat and set aside.
- Mix the meat sauce with the pasta, then add 3/4 of the white sauce.
- In a baking dish arrange the macaroni and pour the White Cheese Sauce sauce over it.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and Serve hot.
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe: