How to cook Baked Leche Flan
Baked Leche Flan Recipe, Leche Flan is the Filipino term for the originally Spanish flan de leche, literally “milk flan”, which is a heavier version of the Spanish flan made with condensed milk and more egg yolks.
Leche flan is usually steamed over an open flame or stove top, although rarely it can also be seen baked. Leche flan is a staple in celebratory feasts. A heavier version of leche flan, tocino del cielo, is similar, but has significantly more egg yolks and sugar.
This is the bake version of Leche Flan.
Baked Leche Flan Ingredients:
- 1 can (390g) evaporated milk
- 1 can (390g) condensed milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or lemon essence
For the caramel:
1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
Baked Leche Flan Cooking Instructions:
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar & water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelize.
- Pour the caramelized sugar into aluminum molds – you can use any shape: oval, round or square. Spread the caramel on the bottom of the molds.
- Mix well the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and vanilla by hand or blender.
- Gently pour the mixture on top of the caramel on the aluminum molds. Fill the molds to about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover moulds individually with aluminum foil.
- Steam for about 20 minutes OR
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Before baking the Leche Flan, place the molds on a larger baking pan half filled with very hot water. Pre-heat oven to about 370 degrees before baking.
- Let cool then refrigerate.
- To serve: run a thin knife around the edges of the mould to loosen the Leche Flan. Place a platter on top of the mold and quickly turn upside down to position the golden brown caramel on top.
- You can tell when the Baked Leche Flan is cooked by inserting a knife -if it comes out clean, it is cooked.
Baked Leche Flan Recipe,
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Cathedral Windows Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>