Adobong Manok Sa Gata is traditional Chicken Adobo with a touch of Bicol
Adobong Manok Sa Gata, The best Filipino dishes are the ones that do not have a written recipe other than the knowledge passed on from generation to another. This is one is a great example and it is one of my all time favourite comfort food. It calls for free-range chicken which has a lot more flavour to it and it can also stand the long cooking time required for this recipe. Use the pepper of your choice. (We used siling labuyo, or bird’s eye chili originally, but I think jalapeno, serano or habanero are good candidates for substitute).
Adobong Manok Sa Gata Ingredients:
- 1 kilo free-range chicken, cut in 8 portions
- 2 stalks lemongrass, pounded
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons julienned ginger
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 4 pcs bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 800 ml of thick coconut milk
- 1 finger chili or jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 kilo papaya, peeled, seeds removed, properly cleaned and sliced to bite-sized pieces
Adobong Manok Sa Gata Cooking Instructions:
- In a large pot, saute ginger, garlic, and lemon grass in oil.
- Add the chicken pieces, season with salt, bay leaf, vinegar and a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the vinegar is completely absorbed by the chicken pieces.
- Add 400 ml of coconut milk. Stir constantly in the first 10 minutes to avoid curdling of the coconut milk.
- Then you can cover it and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until the coconut milk is half absorbed. Stir occasionally though to avoid burning it.
- Add the slices of green papaya and the chili. When the papaya is half done, add the remaining 400 ml of coconut milk, again stir in the first 10 minutes to avoid curdling.
- Simmer for another 20-30 minutes or until all the liquid is almost absorbed and the chicken pieces are falling off the bones.
- Serve with lots of steamed rice.
Adobong Manok sa Gata is a traditional Southern Tagalog recipe, particularly the Bicol region.
Adobong Manok Sa Gata Recipe (Chicken Adobo in Coconut Milk),
Filipino Recipes Portal Content is now Protected and Monitored by:
Please Recommend this Filipino Recipe:
Next - Ginisang Pechay Recipe >>
Request a Filipino Recipe here>>>
Join PinoyRecipe.net's Monthly Giveaway Contest >>>